Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Wright Way - No Chaser #5

















By: Sharone Wright

Sharone Wright was an All-state performer at Macon's Southwest high school as a McDonald's All-American. He played basketball for 3 years in the prestigious ACC conference at Clemson University where he is one of it's top 10 all-time players. Sharone was drafted 6th overall by Philadelphia in 1994 and also played for the Toronto Raptors. After 5 years in the NBA, he went to Europe as a player for 7 years and now coaches.

________________________________

I WISH

It’s high time for me to get something that I want and by all means I’m going to. See I am one of those who gives gives and gives until I can’t give anymore. Every year about this time I start feeling guilty about giving too much. So I thought I’d give the NBA world my wish list.

Gosh darn it I feel that I deserve it!!!!

First. These are the things that I want to happen with regards to things that are going on right now.

1st off read my lips! Leave Cam Newton alone!!!!!!!

I’m a former NCAA Div 1 basketball player (and a good one I might add hehehe). You work all 4 years for an institute of learning. Your athletic jersey is sold in every store within a 60 miles radius of the school. In some cases all over the world. They make millions and sometimes with certain athletes, billions of dollars. For example, I live in LA. In the LAX airport you can still get an Ed and Charles O’Bannon UCLA jersey or a Reggie Bush #5 jersey. All three for more than 60 bucks a piece. That’s ridiculous!! I wish college players were paid.

2nd. I'd like for David Stern to understand that he will never is able to cut the salaries of the players. Our game is world wide and the owners respectfully are making a heckava lot of money. Remember they were the ones who started the max out contracts and awarding guys all of this money.

Even for guys who had no business getting it. It’s their fault for this threat of a Lockout this summer. They in my opinion brought this on themselves. I really think that with the growth of the NBA in the last 20 years, it would take a huge hit if there were a lockout this summer or at anytime. The league can’t survive that. I mean it would go on but it would be horrible for the league and its fans. Let’s find a way to fix this. It’s my wish!!!! (In my Samuel L. Jackson Voice).

3rd. I'd like a little respect for Eric Gordon. Have you seen how great he is playing? He’s like Vinny Johnson, Kevin Johnson (your mayorship) and Mitch Richmond all rolled into one. I love his intensity and his scoring touch. He hasn’t stopped anyone defensively but for sure he’s scored in bunches. A wise man would say probably that when or if Baron Davis returns, Gordon’s numbers will decrease but I don’t think so.

I think he’s earned the touches and the time on the court. Time will tell if this is because overall he’s a beast or that it’s because Davis isn’t on the court demanding the ball all of the time. I’m just saying I love the kid's game. Maybe its he that will finally bring the Clips some respect. Lord knows Michael Olowokandi couldn’t do it.

4th. Remember that song for Christmas that goes “All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth"? Well all I want for Christmas is to see Dwight Howard and some of the other centers and forwards make solid moves in the paint area. I’m sick of seeing these guys walk turnaround and shoot the ball or make free throw line jump shots for their career. I absolutely hate it. That’s why I love Tim Duncan and always have.

Since the first time I saw him when I played against him in college, he’s been a fundamental dream. What happened to The NBA center? Bring him back. Somebody outlaw the jump shooting bigs.

From now on that’s a man law.

5th. Lord please bless Portland Center Greg Oden. What must this young man be thinking in his mind right now? He’s had crazy bad luck in his young career after being chosen first in the NBA draft some years ago. This young man needs our prayers right now. I know how it is to be injured and not being able to give your all. It’s like Brandy felt the other night on DWTS. Oden each time he’s had an injury, worked his butt off to get back so no one can question his work ethic. But you know some will call him a bum or a bust. I believe a bum or a bust is when you don’t give it your all or you don’t care about the game.

Greg Oden has worked hard and doesn’t deserve that. Fans are brutal sometimes. I think it’s mostly because truthfully they all wanted to play pro sports at some point and when they don’t get that chance or aren’t good enough, they hate the ones that make it. I’ve seen this many times. A young kid like Oden can make this ok if he keeps coming back. Keep it going Greg. I see you.

6th. I wish Lebron had gone to New York. Nuff said.

7th. I hope Tony Parker can find his wallet because after this divorce he won’t have a wallet. Can you say Cha---- Ching!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8th. I wish I had gone to Las Vegas to bet on the New Orleans for the first 10 games of the year. I'd be a billionaire right now. Then I'd really is singing that awful "Billionaire" song by Travis McCoy and Bruno Mars.

I felt like the additions of Ariza and Monty William's coaching would serve them well but who knew that they would jump out throwing bows and kicking Butt the way that they have. I guess Chris Paul will be there for a while. Nothing cures your woes like winning.

Last but not least I want to throw a couple of names out at my under 35 crew of readers. See if you can really identify with these names.

1.Lenny Bias

2.Reggie Lewis

3.Hank Gathers

4.Bobby Phils

5.Jason Collier

6.Manute Bol

7.Drazen Petrovic

8.Lorenzen Wright

This Thanksgiving and Christmas I’m thankful to have played against, met, played with or admired these guys. They are gone but for sure not forgotten. R.I.P.

Remember to box out and follow your shot.

One love.


SW

No comments:

Post a Comment